Monday, June 30, 2008

Affiliates Believe In Yourself, Sell A Product You Believe In

As an old computer user but really new online product/home business affiliate, I already know one big issue to avoid. Don't sell until you know what you're selling! Does this sound basic? Well, listen to this story...

You join Click Bank easily and start looking at products. There's so much out there! If you're like me, you see lots of stuff you might sell. How do you decide? Here's how you make that choice.

Sell it because you would buy it. In other words, if you wouldn't buy it yourself then why the heck are you trying to sell it to someone else? And, if you WOULD buy it yourself, then, maybe you SHOULD buy it first before you flaunt it to the masses. Make sense?


I've heard this mentioned in passing but have not heard it emphasized as ESSENTIAL. Think about it, how can you promote something you don't know? They don't tell us this when we sign on as affiliates, or pay big bucks for complete online businesses in a box. But think about it...if you don't take the time to know your product, what are you selling? How can you create those auto-responder letters and solicit your friends if you don't know (I mean really know) what you're selling?


If your beginning list of clients is your trusted, personal e-mail address list, are you willing to risk selling them something bunk? Unfortunately, I think the cost of doing business (even online business) requires an investment in the product. In the long run, this should stand you in good stead. The real issues here are time and money. If you're like me, you don't want to wait to get started AND you'd rather not spend the money.


I bought a product for $29 (money-back guarantee) that I started promoting right away. I was so excited I felt like a kid in a candy store. I took a lot of time to prepare my site and send letters to my best friends and business associates. Guess what?


I think the product is a loser. And now I've staked my reputation on it by telling my friends to invest in it. I lose in 2 ways. The product has been a disappointment and I'm going for the refund. My sales campaign is useless because I don't want to be associated with that product. Evidently other purchasers have a similar feeling because the "charge backs" are coming through. OUCH!

What did I learn?

  • Know your product well
  • Digital products may be especially easy to promote but, if you're selling junk, most buyers are going to be able to figure it out
  • Don't let your enthusiasm and the big commissions outweigh your common sense
  • Take your time. Think long term
  • Sell something you can be proud of

I'll be continuing this series. Please follow along. We have a lot to learn but we're getting there. Thanks, see you later.

Ready to start a website? Try www.SmartMoneySmartYou.smmsite.com I'm making progress!


No comments: