Friday, May 30, 2008

The Internet Marketing Cure - Let The Review Begin! by Chris Best, M.A.

Let me start off by saying that I'm disappointed. I got the hype. I read the book. Now, I'm re-reading the book to start my commentary. If the quality and substance of the sales product is similar to the quality of the "pre-sell" e-book, it's likely I won't be buying. My review is about the book since the product hasn't been launched yet.

Admittedly, I have an M.A. in Communications so, wording things correctly and following through with a logical progression is important. I have a bias against Internet books because of the slip-shod writing overall. The Internet Marketing Cure by Scott Boulch is no exception to my overall impression.

Maybe I owe Scott Boulch an apology. And maybe not. In going through several pages of useless blathering, there is some redeeming information. I don't like the writing style. I think it's sloppy. But I do like some of the content. I think there is substance to it.

Stuff that I don't like. "Internet Marketers as a customer base are hurting." As my high-school English teacher said to me many times, what does this mean? I would expect some statistics and factual data rather than additional blathering. This kind of writing bugs the H--- out of me. Scott is by no means the only IM writer who uses undocumented junk statements but he's done it well.

"I have never been more disappointed with the way Internet Marketers treat each other". End of (and only sentence in) paragraph. Come on guys! This sentence needs more detail and an explanation of why the author is disappointed. I'm new to all this! Who's treating who badly and what are they doing that's bad! As a newbie, this kind of sentence just frustrates me. And I'm only on page 3...

Bad grammar is just plain bad. I don't know why this is so rampant in e-books except that I think there is a lot of self-editing AND I think there are keyword associations that create more profitable placement or something, with using certain words, including misspelled words. This is an area that bugs the H--- out of me. Scott is by no means...I'm repeating myself!

Good stuff. ..."build a business using the greatest TOOL ever invented for any marketer, "The Internet". Now, as a newbie, this makes me feel good. Maybe there is some hope for me to make some money from the greatest tool ever invented. Thanks for the encouragement, Scott.

When Mr. Boulch talks about character in some of his mentors and alludes to substance in life and work, it makes me more confident and comfortable. Wisdom comes with age and experience. I appreciate his comments on life outside of the Internet and that he has learned in other ways besides just the Internet. http://www.theinternetmarketingcure.com/go.php/91896

In the long run, I think this is what he's talking about when he talks "success". As a newbie, I'm trying to figure out who to follow, what to buy, and who to believe. This "stuff" helps me feel there might be some credibility in the author of The Internet Marketing Cure. I guess if you're old enough to remember life before the Internet then you're also old enough to believe in the value of analog vs digital, as a reality, and as an analogy! I think there's hope for our author!

"Today I am more excited and more optimistic than ever about the Internet as the perfect communication medium to build a virtual empire" S. Boulch

I haven't written a lot of reviews professionally but I'll be very blunt. I appreciate references.The writing jobs that I've been hired to do have all required some type of verification of where information came from. The Internet has changed this for many authors. Therefore, I add the caveat that Scott Boulch's entire book has no authorizations, verifications, or references. This seems to be SOP. OK, just bear this in mind when reading it. Does the word "hearsay" come to mind?

The Internet is a tool. This is a great point and good reminder. Scott makes an excellent point when stating that "the internet is not a product..." but a tool. I think he's wrong to say that it is "not an opportunity". Using the analogy of gold mining and selling useful products to the miners, rather than mining, as a means of making money, we can see that there are good ways and devious ways to use opportunity. If the Internet is used to sell "fool's gold marketed as the real thing, then Buyer Beware! We should all realize that nobody's watching out for our safety or success online and unscrupulous scoundrels will certainly attempt to take advantage of ignorance and trust.

The 30 Day Vaccination Challenge is right on! I love it. He's pinpointed a real problem with online businesses. It is Customer Service. The basic point here is that, if you can't get in touch with an online company (in reasonable time, by E-mail) then, maybe you shouldn't deal with them. There's more to it than that but that's the gist of it. Hurrah! This is so integral to long-time success.

Turning a $29 Sales into a Six Figure Income! OK, so now we know, what we're being sold. The membership concept is excellent for recurring income. Now that we've subscribed to the book, we have opted in to the Membership Program of Sales Team Scott Boulch, Don Bethune, and Keith Baxter. I haven't listened in to their Ustream program recently but, I have enjoyed when I was listening. They're truly offering free advice at this point with the reminder that, at some point they will be solicitng us for their program. Fair enough? I think so.

The live aspect of UStream is refreshing. The guys are just real people doing their version of online internet marketing. I'll keep an open mind on the upcoming sales program.

As for The Internet Marketing Cure e-book, I would like to end with saying that

  • It was easy reading
  • The substative portion could have been condensed to about 10 pages
  • I like references and verification in books
  • I'm OK with sloppy grammar and tabloid style writing but I'm fearful that this could be representative of the level of care that goes into the product the book represents
  • I'm just a newbie. What do I know?

All information for this article came from the e-book The Internet Marketing Cure by Scott Boulch. Chris Best, the author, also used The Writer's Digest Flip Dictionary by Barbara Ann Kipfer, Ph.D. to confirm definitions and utilize interesting words. http://www.theinternetmarketingcure.com/go.php/91896

No comments: